Excel User Group
Microsoft Excel blogs, forums, files. Read, ask questions, provide answers.

Barcode generator

Latest post Mon, Feb 9 2015 9:20 PM by adagreen. 6 replies.
  • Tue, Jul 14 2009 2:06 PM

Barcode generator

I have crreated a barcode generator (code 39) from an Office 03 Excel spreadsheet.

The output is taylored to an Avery 5161 label sheet (two rows of 10), maximum of 17 characters per barcode.

Since its a code 39 barcode, you are restricted to just the alphabet, digits 0-9, period, space, percent sign, dollar sign, and dash.

You can generate lower case letters, however, you must precede each lower case letter with a plus sign.  The downside is the max length of the barcode is only eight (8) characters instead of 17 because you have to count the plus sign too even though it doesn't print.

The barcode cannot begin with a dash or a plus sign -- which means the first character, if its a letter, must be a capital.

two or more periods cannot be printed together -- they must be separated by at least one other character.

For optimum results, set your laser printer to 1200 dpi or higher for maximum resolution.

The success of this file stems from the ability to reduce the row height to a fraction of an inch -- representing a bar fragment -- which when stacked together creates a functional barcode.  Other barcode formats could possibly be used, however, it would be very difficult to calculate the check sum.  Since code 39 has no check sum, it's simple to put together.

If anyone might find a use for this file, let me know and I can e-mail it via attachment.

Mark Erickson, Montgomery County Public Schools, Maryland.

• Post Points: 69
  • Fri, Sep 13 2013 3:13 AM In reply to

• Sara77
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 13 2013
    • Posts 5
    • Points 41

hello, I wanna know the excel barcode generator can be used in image?

• Post Points: 21
  • Wed, Oct 30 2013 10:56 PM In reply to

• jane313
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 31 2013
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

not so clear about the solution to the problem ,but i hope this code 39 in excel can help you ! and you can also refer to the barcode for excel plugin

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, May 15 2014 4:14 AM In reply to

I'm interested in how to generate barcode, but not so clear about your barcode generator. As i know, code 39 barcode is self-checking but it does have an optional checksum digit, named a Modulo 43 checksum digit for additional security. Commonly, barcode generator can automatically calculate and add a checksum digit at the end of code 39 barcode encoding.

Susanna

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tags: barcode generator; generate barcode

• Post Points: 21
  • Fri, May 30 2014 2:45 AM In reply to

• arronlee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 19 2014
    • Posts 4
    • Points 36

Hi, Susanna.

I wonder whether you have any good recommendation for us? It will be better if you know some excel barcode add-ins which are totally manual and can be customized by users. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Arron

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tags: excel barcode add-in

• Fri, May 30 2014 4:08 AM In reply to

Sara77:
    hello, I wanna know the excel barcode generator can be used in image?

Hi, i‘ve tested the excel barcode generator you mentioned here. it can not be used to add barcode on image. Only can generate barcodes on spreadsheet cells.

• Mon, Feb 9 2015 9:20 PM In reply to

• adagreen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 10 2015
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

You can generate bar code from excel with a excel barcode add-in

and if you need to crete code 39, you can refer to generate code 39 in excel

Hope these will help you and others.

Good luck.Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright Excel User Group and the relevant contributors, 2010. All Trade Marks acknowledged. This site is a peer-to-peer site and NOT affiliated in any way to Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.