Excel User Group
Microsoft Excel blogs, forums, files. Read, ask questions, provide answers.

Can't set header margins

Latest post Tue, Oct 6 2009 8:51 AM by john. 4 replies.
  • Mon, Oct 5 2009 7:05 PM

• john
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 5 2009
    • Devon PA
    • Posts 6
    • Points 78

Can't set header margins

How do you set heager (and footer) margins. ON my worksheets the header right margin is about 1/4 inch from the edge of the paper. The page margin is set to 1/2 inch. I can't figue out how to adjust the header margins. The margin dialog box isn't as useful as the dialog box in Word 2007.

• Post Points: 21
  • Mon, Oct 5 2009 9:44 PM In reply to

• Omar
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 12 2008
    • Kitchener, ON
    • Posts 197
    • Points 2,658

Re: Can't set header margins

Try this. Page Layout tab, Page Setup group, Margins button. Click on Custom Margins. On the margins tab, you can change any of the page margins, and the header/footer margins. Or, on the Header/Footer tab, you can click a box to automatically align these to the page margins.

Omar Freeman Kitchener, ON

• Tue, Oct 6 2009 6:45 AM In reply to

• john
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Devon PA
    • Posts 6
    • Points 78

I already have the "align with page margin " checked and this doesn't help. In the page margins dialog, margins tab, you can only control the vertical placement of the header, not the horizontal. The header/footer tab (in the dialog) does not have position settings. So, even with the align with page margin checked, the header and footer are not aligning with my margins!

• Tue, Oct 6 2009 8:41 AM In reply to

• Omar
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 12 2008
    • Kitchener, ON
    • Posts 197
    • Points 2,658

Interesting. Before I posted previously, I did a very quick test of the "align with page margins" and thought it was working. I read too quickly the settings on the page margin tab, forgetting that that was the vertical placement. Sorry about that.

I did some quick testing on one of my working spreadsheets just now and see your dilemma. If I play with the column width, sometimes I can make the page and header margins line up with the "align with page margin" box checked. It looks like the header margins are on too coarse a scale?

Omar Freeman Kitchener, ON

• Tue, Oct 6 2009 8:51 AM In reply to

• john
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Devon PA
    • Posts 6
    • Points 78

Yes, that's what I do to. I adjust the column width and get reasonable alighment. Must be a bug in the program!! I also experience the problem that when I'm in page layout, I can't always select a singe cell. The program selects a group of cells or rows when I click a cell. It drives me crasy. The only solution is to switch to normal layout. Must be another bug. I wish I knew how to contact Excel technicians.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright Excel User Group and the relevant contributors, 2010. All Trade Marks acknowledged. This site is a peer-to-peer site and NOT affiliated in any way to Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.