Excel User Group
Microsoft Excel blogs, forums, files. Read, ask questions, provide answers.

Can't see column A

Latest post Wed, Dec 9 2009 11:43 AM by steveshoe. 4 replies.
  • Wed, Dec 9 2009 9:53 AM

• steveshoe
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 23 2009
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

Can't see column A

I think I'm going to feel dumb when I get an answer to this but here goes.  My wife sent me a spreadsheet because she couldn't see column A and wanted me to fix it.  Simple.  I typed "A1" into the box for naming ranges (to the left of the formula box), pressed "Enter" and then clicked on "Unhide colums" (Home tab, Cells group, Format, Hide & Unhide, Unhide Columns).  Didn't work.  Then I thought maybe the person who created the spreadsheet reduced the width of column A to 0 or 0.1 so I checked column width.  It is 3.43.  Now I don't know what do to.  There are definitely values in the column because I scrolled down column A after navigating to A1 and values show up in the formula bar.  I create a workaround by inserting a column and then putting a formula in that column that brings over the value from the same row in column A but I still want to know how to see column A.

Any ideas?

• Post Points: 37
  • Wed, Dec 9 2009 10:41 AM In reply to

Maybe try selec ting the grey area where the row and column headings intersect, and then Format>Column>Unhide

Regards

Bob

• Post Points: 21
  • Wed, Dec 9 2009 11:18 AM In reply to

• steveshoe
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

Thanks for your reply.  I already tried that, and tried it again after your post, but it doesn't work.  I'm not getting any messages about locked cells or permissions either.

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Dec 9 2009 11:37 AM In reply to

Under View, have you checked that Freeze Panes is not active?

--Todd

• Post Points: 21
  • Wed, Dec 9 2009 11:43 AM In reply to

• steveshoe
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

Actually I was just about to post this solution myself!  I had looked at that but the icon said "Freeze Panes."  I thought that meant that they were not already frozen because it used to say "Unfreeze Panes" in Excel 2003 if they were already frozen.  When I hovered my mouse over "Freeze Panes" it opened the drop down menu and "Unfreeze Panes" was a choice.  That fixed it.

Thank you very much for your help.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright Excel User Group and the relevant contributors, 2010. All Trade Marks acknowledged. This site is a peer-to-peer site and NOT affiliated in any way to Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.