Excel User Group
Microsoft Excel blogs, forums, files. Read, ask questions, provide answers.

Can I open multiple instances of Excel in 2010?

Latest post Mon, Mar 2 2015 10:13 AM by Amean1. 2 replies.
  • Sun, Mar 1 2015 1:15 AM

• Amean1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 1 2015
    • Posts 2
    • Points 26

Can I open multiple instances of Excel in 2010?

I have a need to open multiple instances of Excel so I can do analysis on multiple workbooks in my dual monitor PC. However, when I open multiple instances in 2010, it allows me to open it, but later on I receive errors in the workbook and only way to resolve it is to close all copies and only run a single instance of excel. I never had this issue with the Excel 2007 and wondering if anyone knows a way to open multiple copies of Excel in 2010.

Your help is very much appreciated..

• Post Points: 21
  • Sun, Mar 1 2015 9:17 AM In reply to

• Omar
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 12 2008
    • Kitchener, ON
    • Posts 217
    • Points 2,949

Re: Can I open multiple instances of Excel in 2010?

Yes, you can do that. If you start Excel from the task bar, for the second session just right click the icon and then click on Excel. Any files you want to open in that session need to be opened from within that copy of Excel using File/Open. Double clicking spreadsheets from anywhere else will cause them to open in the first session.

If you are copying and pasting between the two files, you can't paste the formulas. You get text only. It's as if the two copies of Excel have no clue about each other. Sometimes, I actually want this, so it's not a big deal to me.

If there are formulas that refer to the other spreadsheet, I'm not sure what will happen.

I had to disable the Power Query and Power Pivot add-ins. They seem to cause issues when running in this mode. Certain files I download off the internet automatically go into this dual window mode, so this was a big problem for me.

If this separate window/session thing is too much of a pain, sometimes I will stretch one Excel window across two screens. Then, I just resize each spreadsheet to fit one window.

Which method I use depends on what I'm working on.

The fix will be to upgrade to Excel 2013. Each file automatically gets its own window there.

Omar Freeman Kitchener, ON

• Post Points: 21
  • Mon, Mar 2 2015 10:13 AM In reply to

• Amean1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 1 2015
    • Posts 2
    • Points 26

Re: Can I open multiple instances of Excel in 2010?

Thank you Omar for your reply. I have tried your recommendations and it seems to be working well.

Thanks again for your assistance.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright Excel User Group and the relevant contributors, 2010. All Trade Marks acknowledged. This site is a peer-to-peer site and NOT affiliated in any way to Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.