Excel User Group
Microsoft Excel blogs, forums, files. Read, ask questions, provide answers.

Filters in a data linked sheet don't seem to work

Latest post Fri, Mar 13 2015 1:28 PM by mbrox. 0 replies.
  • Fri, Mar 13 2015 1:28 PM

• mbrox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 13 2015
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Filters in a data linked sheet don't seem to work

Hi there

I'm trying to setup a tracking sheet.  Tab 1 has a list of staff names, and I then have other tabs which detail various things.  I have linked the list of names on the first tab to all the other tabs so when we have new members of staff I just need to update the first tab with their names.

All the different tabs I have setup have filters on each column of data.  When I add a new name to the first tab, this does appear on all the other tabs.  I add the name at the bottom of the sheet and it appears at the bottom of all the other tabs (GREAT).  But then when I sort the data so that staff names are alphabetical order for example then the staff name moves to the correct position but the other data on the sheet does not move with it, the rest of the data stays where it is.  Even though I have filter on each column.

So to sum up, I want to be able to link data, so I can add new lines of data, but then filter it also, can you actually do this in Excel?  I'm using Excel Mac 2011.

Any help will be appreciated, I've read loads of internet posts and I can't find this exact issue and when linking is explained nothing is mentioned regarding filter and adding new data etc.

Thanks in advance

Marie

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS
Copyright Excel User Group and the relevant contributors, 2010. All Trade Marks acknowledged. This site is a peer-to-peer site and NOT affiliated in any way to Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.