Excel User Group
Microsoft Excel blogs, forums, files. Read, ask questions, provide answers.

xls document is corrupt and cannot be opened

Latest post Thu, Mar 12 2015 5:19 AM by henri2398. 4 replies.
  • Thu, Dec 25 2014 3:35 PM

xls document is corrupt and cannot be opened

Hi all, I have a problem with Excel and I hope smb would be able to help me.

Every time I open Excel file the error window pops up: The document is corrupt and cannot be opened.

I tried repair it with open and repair command in the file menu, but corrupted file still the same. Nothing has changed. Then I copied this file on the stick and tried to open it on the another pc. Actually, i`m not sure was there the same version of Excel I have (2007), but as a result still the same again. I`m tired of seeing this annoying message and I really want to get my file back. May anybody tell me what should I do to solve this problem?

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 69
  • Sat, Dec 27 2014 8:26 AM In reply to

• Sensums
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 27 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Re: xls document is corrupt and cannot be opened

When you can`t open the Excel file, do one of the following recommendations:

1. Open the corrupted file in Word, WordPad or another program. If the workbook opens in Word, you can recover the data. But you can`t recover module sheets, dialog sheets, chart sheets, macro sheets, or any embedded charts by this method.

2. Try changing the calculation setting from automatic to manual. Because the workbook won't be recalculated, it may open. In new document click Options. In the Formulas category, under Calculation options, click Manually.

3. If you want to retrieve only data and not formulas or values from the workbook, you can use external references to link to the corrupted workbook. For more information you can read Microsoft support article and follow it step by step.

4. Use a macro to extract data from a corrupted workbook.

You can also try third-party software solutions to try to recover workbook data if you cannot recover your data by using these methods. I can advise Recovery Toolbox for Excel. Try the trial ver. and maybe it will help in your case 

https://excel.recoverytoolbox.com/

At any rate I wish you good luck. 

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Jan 23 2015 12:05 AM In reply to

Try to open the corrupt excel file with OpenOffice or LibreOffice. Couple of times this method already worked for me.

If all methods fail, I recommend you try Stellar's Excel repair tool: http://www.stellarinfo.com/excel-recovery.htm

Stellar has designed software to repair and recover all the objects: tables, images, formulas, merge cells, chart sheets from corrupt excel file.

Good Luck!!!

• Wed, Jan 28 2015 12:02 PM In reply to

• Robert Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 28 2014
    • USA
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

I was trying to access my corrupt Excel 2010 file but it displayed an error message again & again. I also attempted to open it through open office excel program but it denied. I think it had severely damaged and excel program were unable to read its content. After using many techniques to access it, I found a tool here that helped me to access file contents: http://repairmsexcelfile.blogspot.com/

Hope it will also help you!

Filed under:
  • Thu, Mar 12 2015 5:19 AM In reply to

• henri2398
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 12 2015
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Corruption word is the normal if you are using MS Excel file, this type of situation is very normal for the excel users. In order to fix this error read the solutions here - How to Fix ‘The document is corrupt and cannot be opened’ Error?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright Excel User Group and the relevant contributors, 2010. All Trade Marks acknowledged. This site is a peer-to-peer site and NOT affiliated in any way to Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.